cross arrow-right caution download info arrow-down tick

Get a time extension

Please think carefully about your options.

If you’d like help, contact your local Community Legal Centre.

If you are having trouble paying your fine on time, you can request to pay later instead. You may be given a new due date, or your application may be rejected.

When should you do this?
  • if you are having trouble paying on time
  • and you will be able to pay the fine in full in the future


Important things to know:

Stick to the due date

If the agency agrees to an extension, make sure you can pay the fine by the new due date.

You can only get one extension

You will usually only be able to get one extension of time.

How to apply

It is best to first contact the agency that sent you the fine to find out how to get an extension of time.The contact details will be on the fine. You may need to fill out a form.

If you have fines from different agencies, you may need an extension for each fine. If you need help you can ask your local Community Legal Centre or Financial Counsellor.

How it works

Contact the agency

  • call the agency that gave you the fine. The contact details are on the fine.

Your application will be reviewed

The agency may decide to:

  • grant you a time extension and set a new due date
  • or reject your application

Further action

If your application for extension is rejected, you may decide to:

Please don’t ignore your fine.

If you do not take action by the due date you may have to pay more or go to court.