What to do when you have more fines than you can manage
You can always get help.
If you’d like help, contact your local Community Legal Centre.
If you have more fines than you can manage, the best thing to do is to get help.
You can get free legal advice from a Community Legal Centre or you can get free financial advice from a financial counsellor.
- You are feeling overwhelmed by the number of fines you have
- Dealing with your fines is stressful or upsetting
- You have special circumstances
It's possible to fix your fines, whatever your situation.
There is help available
You can get free help from a community legal centre or financial counsellor.
Get free help with your fines
Get free legal help from your local Community Legal Centre. They can help you find a way to deal with your fines.
You can also get free help from your local Financial Counsellor. They can help you find ways to fix your fines, and can provide other financial advice to help you with your situation.
What to do
Collect your fines together
Collect all your fines together:
- Group them together by stage (infringement, notice of final demand, warrant). You can use the colours of the notices to help you
- or organise them by due date: put the most urgent on the top of the pile
- or you might be able to get a summary from Fines Victoria
Collect supporting information
If you have other information that proves that you shouldn’t have got some of your fines, collect that too. It may be things like:
- Proof that you weren’t the driver of your car when the fine was issued
- A doctor’s letter proving that you have a special circumstance than means you shouldn’t have got the fine
- A letter from a social worker explaining what your situation is
- Bank statements or evidence of your income
- Other evidence that means you can’t pay the fine
Contact your local Community Legal Centre or Financial Counsellor for advice on what to do next
If you don’t want to get help from a Community Legal Centre or Financial Counsellor you can apply for review of your fines online with Fines Victoria.