cross arrow-right caution download info arrow-down tick

What to do when you have more fines than you can manage

You can always get help.

If you’d like help, contact your local Community Legal Centre.

If you have more fines than you can manage, the best thing to do is to get help.

You can get free legal advice from a Community Legal Centre or you can get free financial advice from a financial counsellor.

When should you do this?
  • You are feeling overwhelmed by the number of fines you have
  • Dealing with your fines is stressful or upsetting
  • You have special circumstances
Important things to know:

Don't panic

It's possible to fix your fines, whatever your situation.

There is help available

You can get free help from a community legal centre or financial counsellor.

Get free help with your fines

Get free legal help from your local Community Legal Centre. They can help you find a way to deal with your fines.

You can also get free help from your local Financial Counsellor. They can help you find ways to fix your fines, and can provide other financial advice to help you with your situation.

What to do

Collect your fines together

Collect all your fines together:

  • Group them together by stage (infringement, notice of final demand, warrant). You can use the colours of the notices to help you
  • or organise them by due date: put the most urgent on the top of the pile
  • or you might be able to get a summary from Fines Victoria

Collect supporting information

If you have other information that proves that you shouldn’t have got some of your fines, collect that too. It may be things like:

  • Proof that you weren’t the driver of your car when the fine was issued
  • A doctor’s letter proving that you have a special circumstance than means you shouldn’t have got the fine
  • A letter from a social worker explaining what your situation is
  • Bank statements or evidence of your income
  • Other evidence that means you can’t pay the fine

Get advice

Contact your local Community Legal Centre or Financial Counsellor for advice on what to do next

Apply online

If you don’t want to get help from a Community Legal Centre or Financial Counsellor you can apply for review of your fines online with Fines Victoria.

How to get help

Request a letter from your doctor or psychologist

Request for Special Circumstances Report
Microsoft Word template - 20.52 KB

Please don’t ignore your fine.

If you do not take action by the due date you may have to pay more or go to court.