cross arrow-right caution download info arrow-down tick

What to do with fines if you are an Asylum Seeker

If you are an asylum seeker, you must get legal advice before contesting a fine

Fines can have consequences for migration, particularly if you are an asylum seeker. If you are currently seeking asylum in Australia, you must get legal advice before attempting to deal with a fine.

The best place to get advice is the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre (ASRC). The ASRC provides free legal advice to people seeking asylum, via phone and face-to-face appointments.

You can also contact Victoria Legal Aid, or your local Community Legal Centre

When should you do this?

To be eligible to receive free legal advice from the ASRC, you must;

  • Live in Victoria, Australia; and
  • Be at risk of persecution and human rights abuses in your home country.
Important things to know:

Free and confidential advice

The ASRC provide free and confidential advice

Get advice first

It is very important to get advice first. Challenging a fine may effect your immigration status.

How to get help

Contact the ASRC via phone or in person

You can phone on Mondays or Thursdays between 2pm and 4pm on (03) 9274 9827.

Face to face advice

You can drop into the ASRC Footscray on weekdays (except Wednesdays) from 10am to 3pm, at 214-218 Nicholson Street, Footscray Victoria.

Visit the ASRC website for more information.


Other ways to get help

You can also contact Victoria Legal Aid, or your local Community Legal Centre.


Please don’t ignore your fine.

If you do not take action by the due date you may have to pay more or go to court.