cross arrow-right caution download info arrow-down tick

Here’s an overview of what you can do to fix fines.

Help is always available. Just don’t ignore your fines.

1. Contest the fine

Name another driver

For vehicle-related fines, the fine can be reassigned to the person driving at the time.

Get your fine reviewed

Ask the issuing agency to change or cancel your fine.

Get enforcement of your fines reviewed

You can apply to have enforcement of your fines cancelled. This is called 'enforcement review'.

Challenge your fine in court

The court may cancel or reduce your fine. Alternatively, they may increase your penalty.

What to do with private parking fines

Private parking penalties are not fines. You can write a letter to the company that gave you the fine and avoid paying it.

2. Get free legal advice

Contact your local Community Legal Centre

Community legal centres provide free legal services to the public.

Contact Victoria Legal Aid

Victoria Legal Aid is a free, means-tested service for anyone living in Victoria.

What to do with fines when you’re under 18

If you are under 18, you can get free legal advice from Youthlaw. There is a good chance you can have your fine reduced or avoid paying your fine.

What to do with fines if you are an Asylum Seeker

If you are an asylum seeker, you must get legal advice before contesting a fine.

3. Get help paying

Contact your local Financial Counsellor

There are free financial counsellors available to everyone in Victoria.

Get a time extension

If you are having trouble paying your fine on time, you can request to pay later instead.

Get a payment plan

If you are having trouble paying your fine on time, you can ask to pay in instalments.

Apply for a payment arrangement

If your fine is at the Notice of Final Demand or Warrant stage, you can apply to pay later or by instalments.

What to do when you have more fines than you can manage

If you have more fines than you can manage, you can still get help

4. Pay your fine

Pay in full

If you think can afford to pay, you have the option to pay your fine in full

Please don’t ignore your fine.

If you do not take action by the due date you may have to pay more or go to court.